What is Defensive Driving?
It is a set of driving skills that allows drivers to defend themselves against possible collisions caused by bad drivers, drunk drivers, and poor weather. Drivers are able to spot potential hazards more easily when they look ahead and keep their eyes moving. Once drivers have identified a potential hazard and decided what to do, they can act immediately. Defensive drivers are able to avoid dangers on the road by using their safe driving practices.
Defensive Driving Techniques
• Plan ahead for the unexpected.
• Be able to control speed
• Be Prepared to react to other drivers
• Do not expect the other driver to do what you think he or she should do
• Respect other users of the roadway.
• Be aware of driving in special road and weather conditions
• Be alert and avoid distratcions, e.g., cell phone use, eating.
Don’t make any assumptions about another drivers intentions. If you expect drivers to drive a certain way, you risk being caught off guard when drivers do not do what’s expected. Never assume that other drivers are sober, alert, and follow the rules of the road at all times.